Sunday, February 21, 2010

Week 5: Data Search

















The maps above were created using the instructions for the week 5 lab. I divided the maps into three. I thought the land cover and hydrology map had so much stuff going on, it would be best not to add anything else. The cities, roads and public lands map came out nice. I would like to have played with the font and labels a little more but the Arc Desktop was running painfully slow this weekend which left me no time for tweaking little things here and there. That brings me to the raster data set map. This map did not come out how I would have liked. With arc map and catalog running so slow, I was lucky to get the three areas on the map together. I had no problem using the DEM conversion tool, but projecting these data sets as I wanted was taking three hours each and then freezing up the desktop. I contacted the help desk but I don't know how much help that was on the weekend as I am yet to get any response. In fairness to them, I probably sent the message st 3:00 am (one of many long nights on this lab). This was a frustrating lab, but I did learn alot. I actually enjoyed learning and executing the clipping tool. That was really neat and will come in hand I'm sure. I also became very familiar with different data as I was up to my nose in it sorting out what I liked and wanted.


No comments:

Post a Comment